Branch 10 is located in East York Traditional East York is southeast of the Don river, and the neighbourhoods of Leaside, Bennington Heights and densely-populated Thorncliffe Park are northwest of the river. The heart of East York is filled with middle-class and working-class homes, with extensive high-rise developments along peripheral major streets and in Crescent Town and Thorncliffe Park.
The Bulldog was chosen as the official symbol of East York due to the Bulldog’s tenacity and spirit .
History of East York (from wikipedia)
East York was originally part of York Township. Following the incorporation of the Township of North York in 1922, York Township was divided by Toronto, Leaside and North Toronto. With the rapid growth that followed the opening of the Bloor-Danforth (Prince Edward) Viaduct in 1919, the residents of the eastern half of York Township felt they had been neglected by the Township when it came to roads, sewers and other municipal services. Left with the option to either join the City of Toronto or branch out on its own, East Yorkers voted 448 affirmative and 102 negative. The Township of East York was incorporated on January 1, 1924 with a population of 19,849. The western half retained its name.
East York was originally populated by working class English people who valued the opportunity to own small homes of their own, with front lawns and back gardens. Many had immigrated from Lancashire and Yorkshire. In 1961, 71.7% of the population identified themselves as having British origins.
In the late 1940s, after World War II, East York became home to many returning veterans and their families. Many inexpensive homes were built, including the houses around Topham Park, by the government, to house the returning veterans and the baby boomers. The local government was both socially conscious and frugal, fitting the residents’ self-image of East York as filled with supportive neighbours and NGOs.
For many years, the borough did not allow the serving of alcoholic beverages in any restaurants, etc. The result was a heavy concentration of alcohol-serving restaurants and bars on Danforth Avenue, a main street in the city of Toronto running east-west just south of East York. The prohibition of serving alcohol was eliminated in the 1970s.
The borough of East York was established in 1967 through the amalgamation of the former township of East York and the former town ofLeaside. Leaside was a planned industrial and residential community. East York has over the years been a residential enclave for senior citizens, as the original owners from the 1940s age and as younger families move out to suburbs to live in larger houses.
Recently, rapid and accelerated gentrification has changed many neighbourhoods. Many one-story bungalows have added second floors, and many shops have been converted to more upscale shops.
East York’s last mayor was Michael Prue who went on to become city councillor for East York, and then a Member of Provincial Parliamentfor Beaches—East York in 2001. Between 2002 and 2005, the East York Civic Centre’s “True Davidson Council Chamber” was used to hold the Toronto Computer Leasing Inquiry/Toronto External Contracts